Special Educational Needs

All children in school have access to quality first teaching. Sometimes we identify children that need to have further support in order to help them learn. We offer a wide range of support to help support a child’s learning and well-being. It may be that they only need extra support in one area of the curriculum. The class teacher will identify who needs extra support and how often they will receive it.

The class teacher and/or Special educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) will discuss with you how often your child receives extra support.
The school Governors also have a role in ensuring your child is supported where necessary. The Head teacher and SENCO report back to the Governing body regularly in addition to the SENCO meeting with the SEN Governor.

Our SENCO is Miss Cathie Longman

Our SEN Governor is Mrs Jay Cundell-Walker

How do we decide when a child needs to go on the Special Educational Needs Register?

There are 4 areas of need according to the 2014 Code of Practice.

  • Communication and Interaction
  • Cognition & Learning
  • Social, Mental & Emotional Health
  • Sensory and/or Physical

Children are assessed regularly to ensure that they are making the expected progress. Some children can be identified as ‘stuck’ and will therefore receive some extra help and support. The class teacher is usually the first person to notice that the child needs extra help. If this is the case then they will ask for a meeting with the SENCO to discuss strategies. If these strategies are not working and the child is becoming significantly behind their peers in any area then a discussion with parents/carers about the possibility of putting the child on the SEN register will take place.

Once a discussion has taken place, a final decision will be made by parents/carers, the class teacher and the SENCO regarding the next appropriate steps.

If you have any concerns regarding your child then please raise your concerns with the class teacher and/or the SENCO - Miss Longman

Keeping parents & carers informed:

All classes differentiate the learning according to the ability and needs of the child. Separate activities that are related to the child’s IEP (individual education plan) are also planned by the teacher. All interventions are extremely well planned by the TA delivering the intervention and are also structured to ensure progression is made.

Parents should be kept informed about their child’s progress regularly. If any outside agencies are involved then they like to meet with parents to discuss the work they have been doing. This is arranged when convenient with the parent.

As a parent, you are entitled to an IEP review meeting every 3 months. If you would like a further meeting then please contact the class teacher and/or SENCO.

Inclusion passports are one way in which we record all the interventions that are being done with a child. The inclusion passport is a key document for anyone working with a child as it contains all the necessary information about the provision that has been made. This is a key document for outside agencies and secondary schools to have so that they know what provision has been put in place.  

What provision do we make for children with Special Educational Needs & disabilities (SEND)

Lessons are differentiated for all learners, including those with SEND, in order for them to access the learning at their level and make progress.

The school has access to a wide range of professionals and outside agencies that we can contact for further support and advice. If we feel that outside agency input would benefit your child then we will have a meeting in school to discuss this with you.

We have access to:

  • Speech and language therapists
  • Educational Psychologists
  • Parent Support Advisers
  • Enhanced Mainstream schools for specific learning difficulties, communication and interaction and BESD
  • Specialist teachers for hearing and visually impaired children
  • Social care
  • Looked after children workers  


Transition is very well planned for all children. We hold a meeting with the secondary schools in the area to discuss individual children and their needs.

There is also a document called the Inclusion Passport that is passed on to the next school. This documents all the interventions that have happened in primary school along with other information such as interests, levels and recent achievements.

Children with SEND will also have extra visits to their new setting in order for them to become familiar with the routines of the day.

Once the secondary school place has been confirmed then a meeting will be set up with parents, the current school SENCO and the SENCO from the secondary school to discuss how the transition for the child will take place to ensure a smooth and relaxed change occurs.

A summary of the Water Street Local Offer is attached at the bottom of this page 

North Yorkshire Local Offer:

North Yorkshire County Council  have published their local offer for children and families from 0-25. This outlines what is available for children and young people with SEND in our Local Authority.

All schools are required to provide information to parents on how to seek additional support beyond that which is ‘normally available’ for their child.

The main aim of the local offer is to enable families to see readily the support they can expect locally without having to struggle to find the information. If there is any information that you would like to know that is not on the website then please do not hesitate to contact Miss Longman (SENCO) via the school office.

Please click here to access the North Yorkshire Local Offer